Pumpkin & Carrot Soup
Soup is a staple for those cold chilly days. Warm up with this creamy and hearty bowl of deliciousness. Pumpkin & carrot soup can be served as a starter, meal or side for a creamy grilled cheese sandwich. Incredibly simple to prepare if you have the proper ingredients and can freeze easily making it a great meal no matter what the season.
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 butternut pumpkin-peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1-quart vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup water
Optional toppings right before you serve (choose one)
- A swirl of sour cream or low fat yogurt
- A sprinkle of marinated feta
- Basil leaves
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
1. Saute onions, carrots and pumpkin cubes in olive oil, over medium heat, in a large pan for 10 minutes or until carrots and pumpkin begin to soften.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, cayenne pepper, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the chicken broth, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a low simmer, cover and let cook for 45 minutes.
4. Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth and creamy. Stir in coconut milk, let it cook for 5 more minutes to blend all the flavors.
5. Choose a topping or garnish right before you serve.
Serve with garlic bread or these tasty parmesan and basil crisp.
Parmesan Basil Crisp:
Parmesan and Basil Crisps:
1. Place 4 tablespoons of parmesan cheese into a bowl and shred in some basil to taste.
2. Shape into circles on a tray lined with parchment paper and bake in a preheated oven at 200° for approximately 5 minutes, or until crisp and golden.